NOT to nitpick but WHEN the calendar year flips, ISN'T it about time that we take a pause as well and figure out if we've got any COMMUNICATIONs HABITS we can possibly ditch? Allow me to share here a Tagalog one-liner "BATO-BATO SA LANGIT, ANG TAMAAN HUWAG MAGAGALIT" [translated DON'T FEEL OFFENDED WHEN YOU HEAR IT] because I'll rattle some of our most common communication habits WHICH I encourage [SHOULD I say plead OR beg] you to consider DITCHING some of these COMMUNICATION HABITSπ‘π‘π‘
- Leaving people "ON READ" - YES YES yowww you'd know WHEN you send someone an SMS and you can tell they READ it BUT they NEVER respond for 12 anxiety-filled hours. Sounds familiar? YES, that is NOT a legislative ACT but a "DISAPPEARING ACT". Ditch it!
- BREADCRUMBING - That buzzy term describes the slow drip of attention that never quite develops into anything meaningful. LIKE suggesting get-togethers that NEVER happen, with nary even a token follow-through
- MINIMIZING others' concerns - LIKE you DON'T want to get dragged into a conflict and you end up with MINIMIZATION with reactions LIKE "IT'S NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK" or "IT'S NOT LIKE A BIG DEAL"
- Video calls IN PUBLIC!@#$%? - I've seen this a zillion times. Those are personal calls and IF you're seated next to a stranger, surely that stranger does NOT does NOT want to become that unwitting background in your video call
- TEXT-TRAPPING friends - Here's a NOT so funny exchange I witnessed: DO YOU HAVE PLANS FOR TONIGHT? Then the SMS recipient assumes that you want to have dinner or something and WHEN your friend responds LIKE No I'm free, you retort LIKE "I need a ride to the airport tonight". WHAT? Holy cow!
- GUNNYSACKING - Heard someone's litany, spewing a long list of frustrations, grievances and hurt feelings [either to your partner/spouse, close friends or people you interact closely]. Studies show that this can a toll on relationships!





No comments:
Post a Comment